I served this with my jerk chicken and rice salad, and I tell ya what .. it went down a real treat for my tribe. I find whenever I have chicken that requires hands – like wings and drumsticks – I need ‘slaw to go with it.
By the way, there’s nothing remotely about this slaw that makes it ‘Trinidadian’ .. but because I serve it with jerk chicken and carribean-style rice salad, I needed it to be something beautifully carribean, and seriously, trinidad is boss.
– 500g of dry coleslaw mix
– 1/4 of a red onion shaved finely
– 1/4 bunch of spring onions, green ends sliced and white ends kept.
– 1 cob of corn
– 1 green apple, julienned
– 1 lime
– 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
– 1/3 cup of whole egg mayonnaise
– salt and pepper
1. Chargrill the corn and the white ends of the spring onions until charred, remove from the heat and refridgerate both immediately.
2. In a large bowl or serving dish combine the apple, red onion, 2/3 of the sliced green onions and coleslaw mix.
3. In a small bowl combine the vinegar, mayo and the zest of half a lime – season well. Mix until homogenous.
4. Shave the kernals of the cob of the corn and slice the spring onion ends. Add them to the dry slaw mix.
5. Add enough dressing mix to just coat the slaw, making sure every piece of cabbage, carrot and apple is adorned with dressing.
6. Refridgerate for a further 30minutes, then serve dressed with the remaining green onions and half a lime – for squeezing!
— Serves 8 (as sides)