Mexican Rice Bowl
– 2 cups of cooked brown-rice (you can use white, but I prefer brown for its chewiness)
– 1 small spanish onion, diced
– 1/2 red capsicum, diced
– 1 small zucchini, diced
– 2 roma tomatoes, diced
– 1 clove of garlic, minced
– 1/2 long red chilli, minced – seeds in or out, thats up to you!
– 1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin
– 1/4 teaspoon of ground corriander
– a generous pinch of smoked paprika
– pinch of cayenne
– lime wedges
– leftover chilli, burrito mix, spicy beans, or enchilada filling – whatever you have on hand
– salads: sliced gem, romaine, cos lettuce; fresh tomato; pico de gallo, avocado, cheese, cucumber salad = possibilites are endless
– condiments = mexican crema, sour cream or natural yoghurt; chunky salsa, leftover taco sauce
1. In a medium-large sized pan, fry the tomatoes, zucchini, onion, and capsicum on a high heat until they gain some colour.
2. Turn the heat right down, and chuck in your garlic, chilli and spices, and toast until fragrant, stirring constantly so that nothing burns. Season well with s&p.
3. Add the cooked rice and cook for a further 2minutes until heated through.
4. Layer in a large dinner bowl with your other mexican ingredients – I served mine with Vegan Chilli (recipe coming soon!) – salads, and condiments. Garnish with lime wedges and serve !